- Chief Wellness Officer
Works Closely With
- Co-Director of SCD, Sending Executive Team, HR Manager, Training Director, Regional Advancement Leaders, Regional SCD Leaders
- SCD Team Members
- Part Time
The Co-Directors of Staff Care and Development (DSCD) are responsible for the implementation of global SCD functions and services and champion a culture of care and development within the organization. The DSCD helps Communitas fulfill its mission by promoting healthy practices, values and resources that a) help staff develop their own self-care systems that proactively deal with stress, conflict, transition and the normal challenges of life, b) create an environment where staff can “raise their hands” to ask for additional support and resources beyond their care system when needed, c) develop a SCD Team that invites staff systematically into opportunities for care and development, and d) promote reciprocity within each staff member that leads to them becoming an integral part of another staff member’s care system.
The DSCD is also responsible to foster personal development (leader development) among Communitas staff to support their thriving in context and fulfilling God’s call in their lives.
The DSCD may come alongside staff on an individual basis by providing coaching, mentoring, care, or processing as needed. The role serves as an advisor and collaborator to the regional SCD leader team to advocate for holistic wellbeing with national staff and affiliates and as well as seek resources for the sending division staff, national staff and SCD leaders.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Promote and empower the Regional SCD Coordinators fostering collaboration, community, mutual encouragement and “Best Practices.”
- Lead SCD for all Global Sending Division staff members
- Give leadership to the SCD Team fostering collaboration, community, and mutual encouragement, and recruiting new team members.
- Collaborate with HR, Training, and Mobilization teams to ensure healthy support of staff.
- Work with other Communitas teams to foster healthy lateral dialogue.
- Determine with direct reports the skills needed to grow and invest in each of them
- Provide consulting to regions on developing region-specific SCD.
- Work closely with the Director of Training to ensure personal development resources are included in all Communitas onboarding and training opportunities.
- Give oversight to direct reports having at least monthly check-ins and ensuring each has an annual development review, annual ministry plan, and wellbeing check-in.
- Provide oversight and empowerment to the MPD Advocate position to develop and maintain systems that support all staff in Ministry Partner Development.
- Identify staff care needs in the organization and coordinate resources to respond to those needs (high altitude view, knowing resources and stewarding them).
- Establish a referral network for professional care resources. Ensure appropriate vetting process for therapists, coaches, trainers, Spiritual Directors, etc. wishing to work with Communitas, and ensuring clear communication of expectations regarding time commitment, expenses, and (potential) compensation.
- Works closely with People Team and Operations in the development of systems and policies that actively promote holistic soul wellbeing of our staff.
- Lead the FUEL partnership with partner agencies
- Champion lifelong learning and personal character development among all staff through the setting of annual personal development goals, consistent annual reviews, wellbeing check-in’s (with Wellbeing Tool) and promoting opportunities for the development of ministry competencies, spiritual formation, self-management, and interpersonal skills.
- Facilitate OR connect staff to conflict resolution and crisis intervention professionals as requested by Communitas leadership and/or individual staff members.
- Provide a safe place for staff to process personal and team conflict with the explicit goal of fostering reconciliation among all parties.
- Ensure staff approved for a sabbatical form a sabbatical plan that includes a sabbatical coach, timeline, and specific goals that meet the requirements for sabbaticals.
- Provide oversight and empowerment to the HMA Advocate in their debriefing staff during all HMA periods and transitions.
- Help Communitas leadership manage organizational change and communicate transition well with staff.
- Give oversight to the recruiting and development of Family Care.
- Give oversight to the recruiting and development of the Adsideo Team.
- Give oversight to the applications of the Wellbeing Tool.
- Give oversight to Staff Visits provided by SCD Team members.
- Attend at least one regional Connect and/or the Leadership Summit each year.
- Maintains a learning posture and growing walk with Christ.
- Maintains a positive and encouraging spirit.
- Maintains a strong commitment to the mission, vision, values and statement of faith of Communitas.
- Maintains a commitment to excellence and service orientation.
- Maintains absolute discretion in matters of confidentiality.
- Maintains Ministry Partner Development in order to have sustainable mission support.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision and values of Communitas International, and a committed follower of Jesus Christ.
- Meets elder qualifications of 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9 (gender inclusive)
- Theologically sound and in full agreement with Communitas’ Statement of Faith and positional papers
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree and preferably a Masters in a related field and/or a demonstrated desire for continued education in the areas of organizational and ministerial leadership
- Proven leadership, team leadership and development, and management ability in a missions setting
- Forward thinking and able to develop and execute plans with concrete targets and goals
- Specific training and exposure to member care philosophy, strategies and best practices currently in place within the mission community.
- Strong commitment to principles of lifelong development
- Strong commitment to healthy marriage and families, familiar with the specific needs of Third Culture parenting/ children
- Good to excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good to excellent computer skills and experience preferably with experience using Microsoft Office applications, online databases, Skype, and Google docs.
- Able to work independently and stay on track with agreed deadlines and goals
- Mature in character, has respect and trust of Communitas leadership
- Handles confidential information appropriately and wisely
- Able to establish trust and rapport with missionaries, to be a ‘safe counsel.’
- Understands Communitas organizational culture
- A background check is required
The position is support-funded. The DSCD must be prepared to develop ministry partner support for this role. A support plan for this position will be established in consultation with HR.
Belief and Commitment
To apply for this position, please complete the form below. The complete Job Description can be downloaded on this page, as well.
Please note: This position requires personal fundraising for salary and benefits. Following initial conversations, candidates will be asked to complete an application, assessment profiles and background check.