Apartment Chaplains – Diakonos Community: Indianapolis, IN
|Length||Full-time or Bi-vocational|
Diakonos Community is a Communitas International missional faith community in Indianapolis that seeks to serve and bring the life of Christ to those on the margins of society. We collaborate with existing community agencies that serve those in need. We are experiencing many opportunities to provide meaningful influence and care among friends transitioning out of homelessness through partnership with local housing first organizations. We are in search of people who would be able to serve as Lay Apartment Chaplains to lead new teams at various locations in Indianapolis. The time commitment to this position is flexible to your life situation. We are open to people who would be interested in serving either as full-time missionaries, bi-vocational team members, or interns.
Apartment Chaplains would partner with the leadership of Diakonos in forming and leading teams that work with our community partners to meet practical needs and develop community in places where recently housed friends now live. They also provide volunteer advocacy services for residents that desire additional assistance. Chaplains also have the opportunity to create spiritual community among the residents of buildings through the relationships that develop.
- Lead 1 – 3 teams focused on creating community at an apartment building that specializes in housing friends transitioning from homelessness.
- Build on established relationships with professional service providers to assure that our outreach is supporting the goals of the professional service organization as much as possible.
- Create outreach/connection opportunities for friends of Diakonos.
- Facilitate voluntary advocacy services for residents of building where the chaplain is serving.
- Facilitate spiritual formation opportunities for residents who desire them.
- A strong commitment to the mission and values of Communitas International and a committed follower of Jesus Christ.
- Average to excellent computer skills including use of social media and cloud-based software for communications and file sharing. Applicants must provide their own working device (tablet, laptop or desk computer).
- Ability to relate to and mentor people, with an emphasis on people transitioning from homelessness to being housed.
- Skills in pastoral care, counseling, and spiritual formation.
- Familiarity with social work best practices is helpful, but we can provide training.
How is this role funded?
The salary and ministry expenses of this position are funded through personal support raising. Self-employed, bi-vocational, or intern teammates are also welcome. Applicant will go through our on-boarding process, be provided fund-raising support and training, as needed. Send and email to email@example.com for more information.