Works Closely With
- Rob Jones - Pastor, Kelso Baptist Church
- Full Time
- Part Time
Do you love working with and meeting people in new environments where every day is different? Do you like the freedom to prayerfully plan your day following God’s leading, listening to those in need and supporting people through active listening and practical help? Do you enjoy the rural small-town life, surrounded by beautiful countryside to explore and be restored within? Yes? Then keep reading, perhaps this role is for you.
Kelso Baptist Church (KBC) acting here in partnership with Communitas, is a church rebirth movement which seeks to create disciples through ways which conventional churches are not always set up for. Working with the small businesses in Kelso has therefore become one of our key target mission areas. Kelso itself is a market town for this rural part of Scotland, boasting a wonderful market square with over 50 independent trading shops.
This project has its beginnings in a supportive resource for a new worker, with a fledgling small business Christian network formed by people within the small but growing church. On the outworking side the Pastor Rob (who is also a trained workplace chaplain) has been spending time hanging out with people in the market-spaces of Kelso and surrounding towns; from cycle shops to cafes, flowers shops and watch-makers; and from this initial work he has seen a need much wider need than he can fill the potential for. So this is where you come in!
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
The role involves initially working with the Pastor (Rob), and then taking on pre-existing relationships within the small business community in Kelso. There are also a network of small business owners associated with KBC to support you and resource how you can reach out to others, and you will initially work through their networks and recommendations. You will get to hang out in flower shops, army surplus stores, craft stores, grocers, cafes, micro-breweries, and many other places!
On a five-day work cycle, it is envisioned you will spend around three days per week in Kelso, one day in Coldstream and one day in Melrose or ‘roaming’ elsewhere in the Scottish Borderlands, and also be a part of worship life at KBC. Since it takes time to form trusting relationships with people in business, a ministry relocation of around 1-3 years is envisioned for this role.
In these businesses people need both spiritual and emotional support and help during difficult times. They need a Christian who cares and listens, who is prepared to journey with people through the highs and lows of life. In the small business community, people are often too busy to close their shop or place of work and go and find somebody, there is a need for a Christian presence of both unconditional love in tandem with a preparedness to share the hope of Jesus should the need arise. We’re therefore looking for someone that is a committed follower of Jesus Christ and has a strong commitment to the mission and values of Communitas.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please complete the form below!
We’d prefer the following, but are open to things being a little different…
- A very good listener, especially when making new connections.
- A self-starter, who is confident enough to find their own way and style of ministry, to handle project management and communicate progress.
- Resilience, including the ability to take time-out and create boundaries of self-care and restoration
- Servant-hearted leadership, enabling others to thrive in their gifts.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Able to communicate so everyone can understand what you are trying to say.
- Have a burning desire to make God famous among the nations.
- Maintain a learning posture and growing walk with Christ, a positive and encouraging spirit, and a strong commitment to the purpose and values of Communitas.
- Work with excellence. Always. At least really try.
- Keep confidential matters strictly confidential.
- Involved in a local church and evidence a growing spiritual maturity.
- Prefer international missionary or living experience.
- Must be flexible and able to adjust to a changing work environment and challenges.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A systems thinker who enjoys the challenge of building something from ground zero.
- Average to excellent computer skills including the use of social media and cloud-based software for communications and file sharing (Google Docs).
The salary and ministry expenses of this position are funded through personal support raising. Self-employed or bi-vocational teammates are also welcome. The applicant will go through our on-boarding process, be provided fund-raising support and training, as needed.
Belief and Commitment
All staff need to maintain a strong commitment to our:
Statement of Faith
Statement on Gender Equality
Statement on Racial Equity