Commitment Duration3-6 months for Researcher, 12-18 months for the Community Worker
We have two internship opportunities available and would love your help! Please keep reading and see if one of these sounds like you.
The Community Worker role… requires an entrepreneurial and dynamic individual who feels comfortable working cross-culturally. While not needing to be a Bible college graduate, the ability to lead a Bible study and shepherd community members is important. Combining this with the ability to ‘roll up their sleeves’ and help people draft a CV, fill out housing forms, even educate them about culture will be part of the role. It is life on life and our community is desperate to learn about Jesus and make a new start!
The Researcher role… requires someone that has an understanding of gathering data methodically/professionally and interpreting findings into information that can be used for funding. As The House Glasgow CIC is a social enterprise, we are trying to secure funding that will help us with our launch stage which will involve creation of resources (e.g. business plans, financial forecasts, etc.), translation of these materials into Farsi & English (and potentially other languages), and developing and delivering workshops to our community so they can find employment and/or start a business.
Position durations: 3-6 months for Researcher, 12-18 months for the Community Worker
- Desirable is the ability to speak Farsi, Arabic, or French (none of our Communitas staff do!)
- Proactive as opposed to reactive.
- Servant leaders pretty much rock!
- Maintain a learning posture and growing walk with Christ, a positive and encouraging spirit, and a strong commitment to the purpose and values of Communitas and how we serve in Upper Room Church. We’re looking for someone that is a committed follower of Jesus Christ and has a strong commitment to the mission and values of Communitas!
- Work with excellence. Always. At least really try…
- Keep confidential matters strictly confidential.
- Currently involved in a local church and evidence a growing spiritual maturity.
- A self-starter, able to work remotely, and able to handle project management.
- Media production experience and ability.
- Must be flexible and able to adjust to a changing work environment and challenges.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Systems thinker who enjoys the challenge of building something from ground zero.
- Working toward a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience if a researcher. A PhD or graduate student is certainly welcome.
The salary and ministry expenses of this position are funded through personal support raising. Self-employed or bi-vocational interns or empty nesters/retirees are also welcome. A funding plan for this position, and training in raising support will be provided during the process.
Belief and Commitment
All staff need to maintain a strong commitment to our:
Statement of Faith
Statement on Gender Equality
Statement on Racial Equity
“Our time of prayer involves gathering around people and giving thanks and praying in Jesus’ name for their needs – the community is committed to what some call “prayer evangelism”…that is, people meeting Jesus in supernatural answers to prayer and in the spirituality of fervent prayer itself. This is a hallmark of Upper Room Church.”Dr. Wesley White, Communitas Staff & Team Leader for Upper Room Church
Upper Room Church meets in the West End of Glasgow and is a community of mainly Iranian asylum seekers and refugees. Led by four Communitas staff and supported by an advisory team and ministry workers from within the church, this thriving community of between 200-250 members – we are mainly Iranian in Glasgow!
With gatherings in English and Farsi, we are trying to be supportive of the existing language needs of the community while being welcome to everyone. Weekly Bible studies, soon Conversational English Classes and a Women’s Bible study are also held in addition to a Thursday evening service. During our Thursday gathering, we have worship, a fellowship meal, Bible teaching and 2 hours of prayer for people!
For more information please download the full opportunity profile.